Elena Translations provides translation services for companies and individuals. I specialize in (sworn) translations from Russian to English and from English to Russian. In addition, I offer editing and proofreading services of translated texts (Russian).
A sworn translator in the Netherlands is a translator who is listed in the Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators of the Dutch Bureau of Sworn Interpreters and Translators and who is sworn in by a district court of the Netherlands. He/she is authorized to do sworn translations and to certify the completeness, authenticity and accuracy of these translations by means of a stamped and signed translator’s statement. The translation, the original source document (or a copy of it) and the translator’s statement is attached together as one document.
Sworn translations are required for documents which need to be submitted to official institutions for legal purposes. These institutions in the Netherlands include, for example: Immigration and Naturalization Service (known in Dutch as IND), International Credential Evaluation (known in Dutch as IDW), police departments, city halls, educational institutions, etc. Sworn translations of the following documents are usually required: birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates, non-marriage certificates, divorce certificates, certificates of tax residence, diplomas, company statutes, extracts from the Chamber of Commerce, notarial documents, testaments, adoption records, financial statements, contracts, patents and other official documents.
If necessary (for example, if the translated document needs to be submitted to a foreign institution), the authenticity of the translator’s signature can be confirmed by means of legalization or an apostille. The apostille certificate is a simplified form of legalization accepted by the member countries of the Hague Apostille Convention. Apostilles can be requested at the district courts of the Netherlands. Non-member countries of the Hague Apostille Convention will require standard legalization procedure. More information on this can be found at the website of the Government of the Netherlands: https://www.government.nl/topics/legalising-documents/question-and-answer/how-can-i-have-dutch-documents-legalised-for-use-abroad
Non-sworn translations are translations of ordinary documents which are not required for legal purposes. In this case a translator does not need to provide a stamped and signed translator’s statement. Non-sworn translations are not necessarily ‘worse’ than sworn translations. It is important to understand that sworn certification does not necessarily guarantee quality.
Editing of translated texts (Russian)
Editing requires terminology research (online or in dictionaries) in order to correct mistranslations in translated texts. It is accompanied by recommended corrections. It is done by comparing the target text to the source text.
Proofreading of translated texts (Russian)
Proofreading is a process of checking the translated text for spelling, grammar, syntax errors, repeated words, etc. This process does not concentrate on the used terminology. It is done without reference to the source language.
Work process for translation services
- You request your non-binding quote and submit a scanned copy of your document per email or fill in “Request a quote” form.
- Within a few hours I will contact you and email you my non-binding quote indicating the turnaround time.
- If you agree with the indicated price and deadline, you send me your email confirming your agreement.
- Depending on the requirements of the institution for which the sworn translation is intended, you may be requested to send your original documents to me by registered post. Very often it is sufficient to send me a scanned copy of the original per email.
- After receipt of your confirmation I start translating your document(s).
- When your translation is ready, I will deliver your translation either by email or by post.
- It would be very nice to hear your feedback. If you wish to leave your feedback, please click on the link in my email to write a review on Google about the services provided by me.